Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Free as a Bird after strikes in Bangladesh

Photo by author. Not connected with strike
Finally! The strikes are over, for this time around at least.  After schools and offices have been closed for several days, we could go back to work today.

Results of the strikes?
Walking in the streets today, I saw a burned out bus. The smashed bus looked very randomly placed by a sidewalk off of one of the main streets.

Overview of the Strikes 
I will give you an insight into the strikes on July 6-7, and then again July 10 and 11. (I'm by no means an expert.) We were recommended not to leave the hotel as violence sometimes occur during the strikes. The Bangladesh Nationalist Party called the first strike. According to CNN, they called the strike due to the government's failure to regulate the capital market of Bangladesh and failure to curb commodity prices, such as increase of food prices and gas prices. BBC reported that 10 vehicles were torched overnight July 6th. A number of people were injured and arrested.

The police used tear gas in the 30 hour strike on July 10 and 11. This second strike was organized to protest the removal of a religious pledge from the Bangladesh constitution.

Personal Experience of Strike 
I did not see or hear any of the strikes, and it was very peaceful in the streets where I live. I heard that most of the disruption happens right outside of Dhaka instead of inside the city. The police has a lot more control inside the city, than outside of it as I understood. From friends, I heard that many people used the day shopping and dining at restaurants, just like any other weekend day off from work. As we foreigners were under the impression that we should not leave the hotel, we had a few very boring days.

One thing is for sure, I did not enjoy being inside for so long, not being able to go outside. Until now, I think perhaps I had underestimated the importance of being able to move around freely.
Today, I felt free as a bird. It was a lovely feeling to no longer be trapped in a hotel.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Katherine,

    I work in a national daily. I want to take some excerpts from your blog and publish it in our newspaper. Your blog is resourceful for my section (streets and roads).

    Hopefully waiting for your permission.

    Regards,

    Nahid Siraj

    nahidsirajwriter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete