Friday, July 29, 2011

First Encounter with India

It's colorful, it's crowded, and it's interesting. It's India. 
I have now moved to New Delhi, India for one year. As I have dreamt of traveling to India for several years, it's very exciting to finally be here. I'm looking forward to seeing and learning more of what India has to offer and how the culture really is.

The buildings here so far of what I have seen remind me of Greek and Turkey with perhaps a eating spoon of Costa Rica in it. Except for the temples.

The Traffic 
So far I've discovered that the metro system is awesome! It really easy to navigate and there is a section on the metro only for women. This is a step towards preventing sexual harassment towards women. Before entering the metro there is a security point, just as there are in airports.
When it comes to the traffic above the ground it's not as crazy as in Bangladesh, at least not what I've experienced so far. But there are more cows in the traffic, and they are holy so the traffic slows down behind them. The rickshaws, both auto and bicycle are also present here. The bicycle rickshaws are not as colorfully decorated here as in Bangladesh. In addition, the bicycle rickshaws does not wear longies, a skirt of a type that men wear, here either.

Colorful Observations 
I like riding the metro and seeing all the beautiful colors and decorated clothing people wear. Some people in traditional saris, others in tunics and wide pants, while others are wearing western clothing or even business suits. But whatever people wear, there's always colors.

On Monday I move into my first flat and I'm really excited about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment