Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"Here Comes the Sun..."

It comes when you least expect it. Dengue Fever.

India has introduced me to many things during my stay here. Little did I know that India would also introduce me to my first hospital stay too. Last week I got Dengue Fever and was hospitalized as a result.
Fever, a puffy face, relatively strange dreams and extremely painful muscles accompanied me to the hospital. Being stuck with needles become part of the daily routine along with bad hospital food.  The first few days I just slept and swore that I will never eat rice again - at least not until I decide that I want to.

The normal reaction to this experience might be; I want to go back to home - and yes I did want to go home, home to Norway or back to the US. Home to loved ones and safety in every aspect, meaning what is familiar. Sitting here now reflecting, back in the flat with the two bright pink walls, I want to stay in India for a while longer. I like it here. I feel at peace when I stand on the balcony looking down at the street, or look up searching for kites in the sky. I'm here for a reason, and this is what I want to do with my life. Having dengue fever and being hospitalized so far away from home certainly taught me a lot that I will bring with me for the rest of my life. I just feel so fortunate that I actually could be in a hospital where I could get the care that I needed - the fact that I have the insurance and opportunity to do that itself shows how lucky I am..

Kites, pink walls, colorful streets filled with people, markets, giggly children... and it's started to cool down outside!


2 comments:

  1. this is such a wonderful post. I'm so glad that you can always find the silver lining in a horrific experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat! I'm so sorry to hear you were in the hospital. It's good to hear you are back in your flat. I hope you feel back to your old self soon!

    Also, I love this blog! Your posts are great! They always make me smile! :) The world would be such a fantastic place if everyone had your spirit!

    ReplyDelete