Friday, August 19, 2011

Dogs of Delhi

After a week filled with yoga classes and starting to learn Hindi on top of work, I enjoyed some wonderful cinnamon rolls and a cup of tea with a friend.

At Night All the Dogs Come Out
Before coming to India I had been told about the dogs, and to be vary of them. Thus, at the beginning I was worried every time I met a dog.. After a while this worry disappeared slowly.

My New-won Comfort with Street Dogs did not Last Forever
On my way home from cinnamons and tea, I got surrounded and chased by a pack of dogs. There were at least four of them; barking and running after me. I was walking down the street hoping to find a rickshaw, and then I hear "voff voff voff voff", and see dogs running at me. Oh help help I think, perhaps if I walk away they will disappear. Instead they continued their chase, with me as their target. I bent down pretending to throw a rock at them, because that's the advice I've received of how to avoid being bitten by dogs and not get rabies. Yelling in Norwegian and pretending to throw rocks only made them bark more. When I was thinking, oh no, tonight is the night when I have to get all those rabies shots in my stomach, luckily a man came towards me and started yelling at the dogs, so I walked off. Oh, I'm so greatful that the man came when he did, because I don't think the dogs found me threatening rather they could sense my fright.
Terrified to meet another pack of dogs, I took the first rickshaw I found even though I was almost home.

My advice to anyone who encounters dogs; pretend you're not scared, and actually pretend and imagine you're holding a rock  you can throw at them.. Oh yes, I know, it's not fun to have to pretend to harm an animal. But believe me, these dogs are evil, especially at night. It means that either you are hurt, or you pretend to hurt them.


No comments:

Post a Comment