Monday, November 5, 2012

Warm thoughts, caring hearts

Often the stereotype of Norwegians are that we are cold and reserved. Therefore I'm overwhelmed by all the compassion people have for each other at a personal level. Perhaps we don't politically align with each other at all, but when it comes down to it, it is not about politics. Nor does it matter where in the world people are located.  It's about basic human values of caring about the people whom crosses ones path. I realize I'm in a situation where it's more natural for people to stop up and care a bit extra, which I really appreciate. But it's not to stick under a chair that stopping and caring a little bit extra just because only does good. Because, as a great friend of mine says "if you love someone, you show them". It is as simple as that.

Personally delivered homemade food from a caring heart. The other day, I came home from work only to find a box of porridge in the fridge. It turned out it was from a dear friend who just wanted to show that she cares. Around a year ago porridge had that same extra touch of love to it, when I got homemade porridge at the hospital in Delhi. I never knew I'd learn to appreciate people so much through porridge making and personal delivery. Porridge is a symbol of caring hearts in my world.

What do you do when you can not personally deliver that soup/porridge or warm hug? 
As I have lived abroad for some years, I have come to terms with that sometimes people, or myself, are not physically there when things happen, nor in everyday life. Therefore I continue to try to figure out how to stay in touch with friends located far away. Thus I choose to believe that it is possible to show compassion with the use of technology. Although, I must admit that sometimes a physical hug would be better than a Facebook message, but when that's all there is, then that's far better than nothing at all.

During my years abroad, and hopefully in future ones, I have been extremely fortunate to have strong bonds to the people closest to me. No matter what has hit the fan, be it illness, broken hearts, death or other issues, ways of supporting each other has always been available no matter what the distance or time differences has been. Perhaps you wonder how this really works out or if it actually does. Therefore honestly, one aspect of how it works for me is habit and level of expectations. It might not be for everyone, as it is much nicer to have a face to face interaction with someone rather than over Skype, Facebook, e-mail or the phone. But oh man, the technologies are available making the distances seem smaller, making it easier to actively care.

It's about the little things that when done with warm thoughts and a caring heart can mean the world to someone else. Are you sitting there with a little "I want to make a difference in the world" inside of yourself? If the people around you are not doing well, then how can you go out there in the big world trying to make a difference? Or do you just want to get through the day? Either way start with the people around you.

That's what I'm trying to figure out these days.

Really what I wanted to do with this piece was to say thank you to all the wonderful people in my life, whom are all everyday heroes in my eyes. You all make the world a better place through being yourself with your warm thoughts and caring hearts.


No comments:

Post a Comment