Thursday, May 10, 2012

I Live in a Country Where People Break Out in Beautiful Songs and Melodies


Standing in the bus, I hear a man singing.  I cannot remember anything but his voice formulating a Bollywood melody.  I cannot remember how he looked like. But I know he sounded happy. Auto-rides have many a times given me a reason to smile with the loud melodies from the music system, or my favourite; when autodrivers break out in song. I always wonder if they are extraordinary happy in that moment while singing, or if perhaps they just do it because they want, because they can.

Walking down the streets of Oslo, street singers are the only ones seen singing. If I started singing in the streets of Oslo people would questioning my sanity. I’m from a place where people never sing when shopping, now living somewhere I hear it regularly. People randomly break out in song and I love it. It’s one aspect of living in India that teaches you to appreciate all the small things. Appreciate the people around you; your loved ones, and the ones who breakout into song – or back home, those who dearly long to sing out loud while wearing their winter coats.

Thinking back to when I first arrived in Asia, about 10 months ago – I did not imagine that random singing on the streets would be one of the things I will keep close in my heart when I one day return back North. But it is, it really is. It adds a happy melody to everyday life.The singing adds an additional melody to life. Perhaps I will sing in the streets of Oslo when I return home to the cold North? The things that inspires you to smile are worth keeping deep inside your heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment